Monday, July 27, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake

The more I work with cake decorating the more I find that I actually enjoy the work.

I haven't been decorating for very long...I started doing it because I got a wild hair up my butt and wanted to prove to myself that, in fact, I could do it.

My first attempt was a Rubix Cube (spelling?) which turned out to be alot more work than I'd thought it would be, but I managed to make a large cube with an askew center layer accompanied by two little cubes. (sorry, I don't have pictures of the cake, but they do exist)

Since then I've only done three other specialty cakes.

-A Peep Cake for my cousin (again no picture, sorry)
-Another Rubix cube cake for the same cousin which had a bittersweet strawberry and coolwhip filling that I made myself:
(This cake was hardly as ambitious as my frist attempt)

-And the cake I'm most proud of, The Daisy Cake my cousin asked my sister and I to make for her little girls Baptism.

The origional design was a plain white cake using some whipped non-dairy frosting from Smart&Final my cousin introduced us to, and a large daisy design in the middle. As the day came closer my cousin asked for yellow frosting instead...but of course being me I couldn't give up on the daisy design, so I incorporated both the colors.
The cake also has white chocolate daisy peices around the edges accompanied by synthetic daisies and a single wooden cross.
The large daisy design was made using dyed yellow sugar that I made in our Magic Bullet on top of a thin layer of white frosting. I made the design freehand with a kind 'sand art' style technique. (really easy to do)
When we showed up to the party after the baptism my cousin was so pleased with what we came up with and it fit in perfectly with the cupcakes and chocolate lolly-pops she'd made.
I love working with cakes, and I can't wait to practice making more specialty cakes. I just hope that any other projects I take on in the future will come out just as perfectly as my cousin's daisy cake.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Nanas, they are too beautiful to munch on! That daisy one looks quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete